Dental anxiety and fear of going to the dentist are very common. Many people are afraid of needles or the pain they think they will feel during a procedure, and that nervousness becomes overwhelming. Often, sedation dentistry is the ideal solution to combating dental anxiety. Dr. Tom Hedge is a dentist in Cincinnati who helps his patients relax using sedation.
Reducing Dental Anxiety
- Dental anxiety is dangerous to the health of your teeth and gums. Many people avoid going to the dentist because they are afraid. Not going in for regular checkups often leads to undetected decay, which will cause serious problems.
- Sedation dentistry is the use of medication to help the patient relax during dental appointments. Dr. Hedge practices sedation dentistry in Cincinnati, making it easier for patients to get the quality dental care they need.
How Can a Sedation Dentist Help You?
- If you are suffering from dental anxiety, it’s time to see a sedation dentist. Patients who are sedated feel much more calm while they are in the dentist’s chair.
- Sedation can also help reduce your nerves before your appointment begins. With oral conscious sedation, patients can take a pill the night before the appointment to help them relax and get a good night’s sleep, and then take another before the appointment the next day.
- There are three main types of sedation: nitrous oxide, oral conscious sedation, and IV sedation. Each works to prevent the patient from feeling significant pain and/or anxiety. Dr. Hedge can determine which sedation method will work best for you depending on the procedure that is being done and your anxiety level.
Using Sedation Dentistry
- Sedation dentistry does not necessarily put the patient to sleep; instead, it just makes him or her feel very calm and relaxed.
- Many of our patients say they actually remember very little about the appointment. Time seems to go by much more quickly while the patient is sedated. While the patient is conscious during the appointment, many say they remember very little about the procedure.
- One major benefit of sedation dentistry is that it allows the dentist to do his or her very best work without worrying about the patient’s comfort. This can lead to faster appointments and possibly even fewer appointments.
Do not let dental anxiety prevent you from getting crucial dental care. Dr. Hedge is a sedation dentist in Cincinnati who can help you relax, making your appointment a much more pleasant experience.